Tuesday, April 3, 2012

DIY Easter Bunny Footprint Tutorial!

Who wants to make 

Easter Bunny footprints?!




Come on, you know you want to!


A few items of business first.

Disclaimer 1
 I did not invent bunny footprints.  
As far as my family is concerned, my fabulous girlfriend, 
Miss Christy, invented them.

Disclaimer 2

This tutorial was shot in super secret stealth mode.
That means the photos are not great....but they'll do.

Disclaimer 3

If you decide to create this little bunny trail, be aware that you 
may need to commit to this as long as your munchkins believe in the Easter Bunny.


Step 1

Gather materials.




You will need a paper plate, scissors and a pencil.

(Its a very high-tech craft.)

Normally this project takes place late Saturday night.
Joe hides the eggs, I do the feet.

Because its done at the last minute,
I have no patience whatsoever for gathering materials.

If you are in the mood to pull out your exact-o knife, 
circle cutters or punches,
go for it!




Step 2

Turn your paper plate over and draw some bunny feet.




I have never-ever-EVER used a cookie cutter to draw this.

Today, it was 12 inches away on the drying rack.

I couldn't help myself.








Bunny Feet!




Anybody know how many toes bunnies have?
I have no clue.  This year I made three.

How ever many toes you give your bunny, 
just don't draw them too close together.
I makes them harder to cut out.





Step 3

Cut out the Feet!




One of the comments I received said,
"how did you get your circles so perfect?"

Um....yeah, they're not, and it really doesn't matter.

Stab the tip of your scissors into the center of a toe, twist a few times...
  
and you have a roundish hole!





*Important*

Cut out the toes before the rest of the foot.

I'm sure there is a scientific reason why the paper plate rips
more easily when you cut the big part out first.

I don't know what that is, but I do know it means you have to start over!





There they are!





Step 4

Remember all that baby powder we all bought before we
had our first baby?

And how no one ever got to actually use it because,
 even though its called BABY Powder, 
its really bad for babies?

Now you get to use it!




If you use baby powder, your prints will hang around for awhile.

I like them, so I don't mind.
They make me giggle.

If you would like more temporary prints, powdered sugar works too,
but they wash away quickly.
(especially if you forget to turn off the sprinklers Easter morning)




Step 5

Shake it up!




We have bunnies that come and visit our Salad bar lawn occasionally.

They'll perch themselves on the edge of the concrete and nibble on the grass.

I like to start there.

Set down you plate right-side-up.
(very important)




and...shake shake shake!

I used powdered sugar here because I needed to wash the feet away immediately.

Didn't want to have to explain why the bunny came early!

The rim of the paper plate 
keeps the extra sugar/baby powder from spilling all over.





BUNNY FOOTPRINTS!



Step 6

Think like a bunny!



How does the Easter Bunny come into your yard?

At our house, he crawls under the back fence and hops along the wall.

He takes a little break in the roses for a snack,
then cuts across the grass onto the cement.

Some years, if he's feeling frisky, he hops onto a slide or a tricycle seat!

Silly Bunny!

Eventually he hops over to the backdoor, leaves a basket of treats,
and then hops under the side fence to the neighbors house.





Every year Ethan and Jack can't wait to see where the bunny went.

I hope he hops over to your house next!


Thanks for stopping by,

Lizy B

13 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea!

    Visiting from the Bunny Hop, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lizy!

    What a CUTE tradition. I enjoyed seeing your little guy and how he has grown over the years. That was a very nice thing for you friend to have started!

    Thanks for sharing this at my party this week!

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so clever and so sweet. Ethan and Jack are cutie pies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I showed this to my hubby and it almost immediately became a yearly tradition haha! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute idea and the little ones in this photo - adorable! Maybe you know them?? :) I think I'll do this for my kids even though they're grown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so stinkin' cute! What a great idea! And I love the tutorial! My kind of directions!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! I can't wait to have kids so I can do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know my Easter Bunny days are numbered, so I'm glad I can do this to keep the magic one or two more years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this sweet idea! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made our bunny footprints!! Can't wait to see what the littles think in the morning:) Thanks for sharing your fun tradition!!! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just came across your blog and its amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to post it! Your son is absolutely adorable too!
    Allison :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My parents did this for us when we were kids; but it was Santa's boot prints to the tree. I am nearly 50' so way before pinterest. haI never thought about Easter bunny...Thanks. Will do for the grandkids. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  13. My parents did the same thing with baby powder but for Santa to the tree. He would stop to eat the cookies and then it was to the tree for the gifts. They used a real boot and a cookie sheet with powder. It was the snow. Sure it would melt if it weren't for the magic. I am nearly 50 years old. I did it for my kids. Never thought about the Easter bunny. Will start that tradition for the grandkids. Thanks; Hoppy Easter. Sharon

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments (yup...I read each and every one!!!), thanks for taking the time to type out your thoughts! They truly make my day!

Your questions are so much fun, and I try to answer them by emailing you back directly. Please make sure you are not a 'no-reply' blogger so I can reach you!

Thanks everyone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...