Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tutorial! The Chevron Pumpkins are Back!

So, it looks a bit different around here on the blog today....hmmmm

(I can't wait to tell you all about the process, 
but that will have to wait until next time.)

I promised you a Tutorial!




These chevron pumpkins are one of my favorite Halloween cookies to make.

The only trick is that you need to move quickly!  








But that also means they are done in a snap.

Because of that, I'd suggest you start with a cookie 3 or 4 inches across.
(the grey and purple pumpkins are about 4 1/2 inches)

That way, you can get it flooded quickly 
and move onto the next step before the icing begins to set.

That lime green cookie is a monsterous 7 1/2 inches.

Easily feeds a couple of munchkins,
also makes a hysterical picture since it covers their entire face!




Here we go!!!





I used:

Pumpkin shaped sugar cookies
Orange, ivory, black and purple piping icing in decorating bags with a number 3 tip
Orange, ivory, black and purple icing in squeeze bottles
Lots of toothpicks
Damp paper towel (not shown)
Leaf shaped decorating tip







Begin by outlining you cookie with the same color icing 
that you will use to flood your pumpkin.








Outline the stem with black piping icing.  
Make sure the black outline touches the pumpkin outline.








Fill in your pumpkin with the matching color flood icing,
making sure your icing reaches your outline all the way around.

Pop any obvious air bubbles with a toothpick, but don't take too long!









Quickly pipe stripes with your black flood icing.
It will sink into your base color and create a flat surface.

(that's called the wet-on-wet technique)

Curve your lines a little bit, like tiny smiles, 
to give your pumpkin some dimension.

Grab a toothpick!!!!!









Starting at the top of the pumpkin, somewhere near the middle,
drag your toothpick through the stripes all the way to the bottom without picking it up.

Make your line curve outward just a bit....
y'know, like the section of a pumpkin!

Don't stop to admire your work....keep going....don't let it dry!!!









Now start at the bottom and pull your toothpick up to the top.

(Don't forget to curve your line out the opposite direction!)








Now just keep going!

Alternate the direction of your stripes, continuing to the outside edge.








If you look really closely at the ivory icing my toothpick just swept through, 
you'll see little wrinkles.

That's what happens when the flood icing begins to set 
before you finish dragging your stripes.
(oops)





One other really important tip!!!




Wipe off your toothpick between stripes!!!!
See that icky looking paper towel up there?

For these stripes you definitely want a 'clean' stop and start.
If you leave icing on your toothpick, 
you'll have a dot of color above the beginning 'V' of each stripe.

On second thought....try it both ways.
Experiment a little, see which one you like best.

(Then you get to eat the other one!)









Fill in your stem with black flood icing and let the whole cookie dry!









That's it!!!

Perfect little chevron pumpkins!
That wasn't so hard, was it?!



If you'd like to add an extra touch,
change to a leaf tip on your black piping icing 
and pipe some big swoopy leaves on your pumpkins.




I hope you try these.
I'd love to see some pics if you do!!!


There's lots going on at the blog this week.
I'll have the story of the makeover

and

another giveaway from 




Thanks for stopping by! Lizy B

33 comments:

  1. These cookies are just beautiful! Almost too beautiful to eat! Your tutorial and great photos make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sooo much for the step by step!! I sooo want to try and decorate some cookies!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out really good, I might just have to give this a try

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the shocking black leaves! They contrast so nicely with your bold colors! Adorable and so sweetly done! I love your style and your creativity Lizy B!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I end up back on your blog again! Your amazing cookie skills get me every time! Thank you so much for the tutorial, I will have to pin this so I can try it one day. They are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! Really want to give this a go! Thanks for the tutorial! Have a great day!
    Rebecca
    Heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous cookies!! Pinning them and sharing over at my FB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so talented!! Baking like this is an art!! Great job!!!

    ~~~rhonda~~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. This might be the most stylish cookie I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! You make it look so easy, but I'm guessing my pumpkins won;t look like that:)
    love the new look as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing your pumpkins would look like these!!! I hope you try them. They really are fun!

      Delete
  11. Almost to pretty to eat...but I'm sure we'd find a way. Terrific tutorial too. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh these are great!!!! The family has been bugging me to make sugar cookies. I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elizabeth,
    I absolutely LOVE these cookies! I can't wait to try this technique at home. Great tutorial. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share next week. Have a great weekend.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! I am featuring these babies tomorrow. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw...thanks Miss Desiree! Always an honor to be featured over on The 36th Avenue!

      Delete
  15. These cookies are gorgeous! I somehow don't think mine will turn out so nice when I attempt it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow these are amazing. Too pretty to eat even! Pinning them:) Newest follower
    Hugs, Jen @ frazzled5.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh, I love these. So pretty! Thank you for the tutorial, you make it look so easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Those cookies are absolutely amazing! My weekly linky party--One Creative Weekend--has gone spooky this week in honor of my thirteenth party. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll visit "One Creative Weekend" on OneCreativeMommy.com (open every Fri-Wed) and link up this idea and anything else you’d like to share. (You can include non-Halloween posts as well, but feel free to link up as many Halloween-themed posts as you like.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look Marvelous and so Artistic! Thanks for the Tutorial... I don't know that mine would turn out quite that Lovely, but it would be a Fun Project all the same and you can always eat your Mistakes right? *Winks*

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you make your own frosting or do you purchase it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! I make my own icing. My recipe can be found here http://lizybbakes.blogspot.com/2012/03/royal-icing-recipe-step-by-step.html. If this link doesn't work, click the 'recipes' tab in the header, its the second post!
      Have fun!! (psst....I tried to email you directly but you are coming up as a 'no-reply')

      Delete
  21. These are so cute and festive. I love the colors of your frosting. I might have to buy cookies for the first attempt, I'm not very good at baking them myself. If you get a chance I would love for you to come link up your tutorial at my Halloween Pin Party.

    http://sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2012/10/pintastic-monday-halloween-edition.html#.UGnXXq4-WnD

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seriously?! How cute are these things?! Ah-maz-ing. You gave awesome instructions but theres no way I could do that! Thanks so much for linking these to our Keep Calm & Link Up Party - I'm off to share these on FB. Join us again in a couple of days for a new party!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just tried this tonight because I feel in love with them! Mine look like a first grader did them : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Ashley!!! good for you for trying! I have a feeling they look a lot better than you think! If you have any questions for me, just ask! Keep trying!

      Delete
  24. Thanks for the great tutorial!! I am going to make these this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Any shape of cookie would look good in this! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments (yup...I read each and every one!!!), thanks for taking the time to type out your thoughts! They truly make my day!

Your questions are so much fun, and I try to answer them by emailing you back directly. Please make sure you are not a 'no-reply' blogger so I can reach you!

Thanks everyone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...