Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Best Ever Cookie Sheets!

It's 'Take-A-Peek' Tuesday!!!

I'm going to talk about something incredibly unglamorous today...

the humble cookie sheet.



Would you mind if I gave you a little backstory here?

For years and years I worked at Williams Sonoma.
(loved every minute by-the-way)

While I was there, I did almost every job there was: 
greeting at the door, training new employees, shipping and receiving, inventory, 
money stuff, opening a brand new store, 
watching over the 'brand-new-not-even-open-yet-store' as it flooded from the store next door....
(Hi Camille!)

These years also left me with a pretty seriously equipped kitchen.
You name a kitchen tool, I've probably tried it and more than likely own one.

Why was I telling you this?

Oh right, cookie sheets!
I've tried them all....seriously, not kidding.
Even the million dollar All-Clad golden kind.

Here are the ones that earned a spot in my cabinet.




On the far left are the 'others'.

They're....fine.  

Nothing really wrong with them, I just don't bake cookies on them.
Some are really thin, some are too dark, some are super heavy, but don't have edges and I use them
 for one particular type of cookie...and frozen pizza.
There's also a pizza stone that I don't recall using or buying but can't seem to part with.

My BFFs are in the middle.

Let's discuss...




Generally I will always choose a non-coated cookie sheet.
The non-stick surfaces just complicate matters.
They can get scratched, then flake and can be hard to clean.

A silicone liner or parchment paper will always give you better results 
if you're concerned about sticking and cleaning.

However...they look a heck of a lot better in photos, so I have a few of those.




A lighter color will heat more evenly.
(y'know how the cake mix box tells you to turn down your oven if you use a dark pan?)

A thick bottom is crucial.

CRUCIAL!!!!

Just like a heavy pan will do a better job on your stovetop, 
a thick cookie sheet will heat more evenly, stay flat and have less or no warping.

How heavy?
If you're holding it one hand and your wrist is straining a bit, that's a good sign.




The rolled edges are a good too.
Less warping, very durable, easier to hold.

For me, high sides are a must.

There are a bunch of reasons having to do 
with air circulation in your oven and all that...
but let's be honest.

You only have to watch all your cookies slide off your pan 
onto the floor once to understand why.

Alright...now I know there are a few people out there wondering about insulated cookie sheets,
and I'm sure some of you swear by them and they are the only thing you use.

I don't like them.
I don't.
Not even a little.
That's just the way it is.

You can find my favorites in lots of places.
Sometimes they're called Half-Sheet pans or Jelly-Roll Pans.

Karen's Cookies
Amazon
Williams-Sonoma
Sur La Table


After aaaaaaaall that,
here's the real reason I know that these are the very best in the whole wide world.

My mother-in-law won't use any other kind.
'nuff said.



Next week we'll chat about those liners!



Thanks for stopping by! Lizy B
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. thanks for your kind words on my blog! this was a great post. my kitchen has no storage space, so i just have a few not-super-great cookie sheets right now. can't wait to get fancy ones! upgrade!!
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are definitely my favorite kind of cookie sheet too. I love them and they are perfect for freezing pasta and pot stickers on as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so true!!! I do freeze scoops of cookie dough too!

      Delete
  3. I agree, I love those Chicago cookie sheets from Sur la Table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Completely forgot about the flood. Remember the electrical panel fire on Christmas Eve that blew our power? Unhappy WS customers! I am in need of picking up a couple of new sheet pans. Someone who shall remain nameless keeps using of pristine COOKIES ONLY PLEASE sheet pans for french fries or fish fingers or something. Once that happens it moves into the non-baking rotation. The pristine pile is getting shorter! I don't like insulated pans either. The one I have is regulated to catching spills and drips in the oven under things placed right on the rack. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I agree with you on every point. I also have another requirement in terms of size...two cookie sheets must be able to fit inside the oven side by side. Made the mistake once of buying big cookie sheets and two could not fit in the oven together. Grrrr! Have a lovely week! Angie xo Pinned this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was definitely a very helpful post...
    Thanks for sharing
    www.ayasgoodies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post-I was about to replace my cookie sheets but really didn't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to work at WS! THanks very much for the tips!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments (yup...I read each and every one!!!), thanks for taking the time to type out your thoughts! They truly make my day!

Your questions are so much fun, and I try to answer them by emailing you back directly. Please make sure you are not a 'no-reply' blogger so I can reach you!

Thanks everyone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...